Dragestræde, cattle road
This herring is located at Dragestræde no. 6, but before continuing right on to Rådhusgade, just take a look left and notice Dragestræde no. 7, which was built in 1912 as a power station. Together with a power station at Carøe’s, these two stations supplied Stege with electricity until the electricity company SEAS took over the town’s power supply in 1953.
The existence of Dragestræde can be traced back to the Middle Ages. The buildings were, until the mid-1800s, scattered and sparse; but the strait was used as a cattle road by which the cattle were led to enter the pastures just within the town ramparts.
Now continue to Rådhusgade and look at house number 12.